Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Eternal Youth

"$2 for eternal youth! It is your last chance to buy your ticket!" shouted the man on TV. Everybody had been talking about the lottery. $2 for a ticket that could when you a flask of liquid that was supped to keep you from growing old and dying. It seemed silly to me, living forever that is. But my opinion didn't matter, thankfully. Today was the last day to buy your tickets. My dad had already bought 20, it was all we could afford. I told him that he was wasting his money, but he didn't listen. The winner was to be announced tomorrow.

I rolled out of bed. My clock read 6:30. Nobody should be up now. I was the early bird in the family, when I wanted to be. I stumbled into the kitchen. My whole family was crowded around the table. "What are you doing up?" I asked. It was very unusual for anyone, except maybe my mom to be up this early."

"We couldn't sleep." replied my older sister Marissa. "We can't wait to find out who one."

 I rolled my eyes. "Are you excepting us to win?" 

"You never know." she said. The clock ticked on until 11:30. They were supposed to announce the results at noon. We crowded around the TV. "And the winner is Sarah Jones from Austin, Texas." shouted the man on the TV. I look of disappointment spread over my family's face. Did they really think they were going to win. 

It had been a week since Sarah Jones had won. Besides winning the "eternal youth" she was to be flown in to New York, so we could watch her drink the flask live. Again seemed kind of silly to me. My family gathered around the TV for a second time. However, a little less enthusiastically.

Sarah Jones walked on to the stage. A man in a navy suit her the flask. She took it from him and with a big smile drank it. She just stood there for a moment. Then, as if a gust of wind hit her she fell down. Sarah Jones was dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment